Thursday 13 September 2012

Fasting and Food Appreciation

If there is one thing that I would wish for you to discover in your fasting experiences it's a heightened appreciation of food. This may seem like a strange thing to say as when we fast we stop consuming food, but its really a complementary concept.

Fasting has many benefits, it can reset your cravings both physically and mentally, it can help you distinguish between real and psychological craving, and bring you to a new understanding of yourself.

Food is something to be celebrated, it nourishes and sustains us, as you know I am very keen on organic food and home cooked meals. I believe in putting the very best (in nutritional terms) into my body and those of my loved ones.

Fasting can bring us to the realisation that eating is not a chore, we shouldn't eat because its 6pm or because we feel we should. Many cultures include prayers before eating, which I think is to bring us to a proper sense of reverence and gratitude before we eat and sustain.

We should eat when we are truly hungry, not because the boss shouted at us, or because the expected cheque (check) didn't turn up or because its raining - this is an abuse of food to my mind.

Eating should be a mindful process, an honouring of the food we consume (especially if its animal based), eating to live, not living to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment