Wednesday 22 August 2012

Report from a first time faster - Steve Flaherty


Fasting the beginning of my journey

22/08/12

By Steve Flaherty (new to fasting)

Having heard from various people during my travels about fasting I today took my first tentative steps into what it would be like to fast for 24 hours. Over the past few weeks my curiosity in regards to fasting got the better of me. This is in part due to Martyn Bliss and his excellent Blog posts on the subject.

My decision to Start to fast for 1 day a week starting from today was not guided by religion or a distinct desire to shed pounds. I was guided through my inner feeling and interest in what the health benefits of this interesting subject were/are.

The first day of fasting for me started last night after my evening meal and will continue to 9pm this evening. Throughout the day (I live in the Middle East) I found that whenever I felt the desire to indulge in food I would drink water. Water being a priority for me during a normal non-fasting day (it is generally 40° + here) made this process very easy to adapt to.

Psychologically I found that for the first 20 hours my energy levels and mood did not show any change from normal. However over the past 3 hours (I still have one hour left as I am writing) I find that although I am not craving food I do feel a little bit tired and light headed.

 Choosing today as my fasting day was my test study of how I could cope without food. However I will from next week be regularly fasting on Friday’s. Friday in the UAE is the start of the weekend.  Having only Systema Class on Friday mornings for one hour, my transition to fasting during that day should be smooth.

In summary of today, I feel a little weakened now that my fast is nearly over I however have thoroughly enjoyed the experience and do believe this will help me to further understand me and the diverse capabilities of this complex human shell that over the last 37 odd years I have called home. This fact alone I think makes it a worthy venture.

Kindest regards
Steve Flaherty

 
Thanks very much for this report Steve, great to see you jumping right into it and seeing that you can survive a fast and still be the same person you were before :)
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment